tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tika v0.1 thoughts
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:59:30 GMT
On Nov 19, 2007 3:50 AM, Chris Mattmann <chris.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Niall,
> > ...The real issue though is whether the IPMC will accept just a jar as a
> > release - since as an incubating project Tika can't actually release
> > anything without their approval. I would be surprised if they didn't
> > make the same comment as I did.
>
>  I'm not too familiar with the Incubator PMC, but people like Jukka, and
> Bertrand, who sit on it, I'm guessing are. So we'll see what they think....

I think releasing binaries and source code in separate files is ok, as
long as all distributed artifacts contain the NOTICE and LICENSE file.

However, including the source code in the binary distribution is
useful for debugging, as some using that is sure to have the correct
version of the source code.

If we want the binary distribution to be very small, we could also
include the compiled jar in the source code distribution files, so as
to provide that "source and binary in sync" file.

Current, NOTICE.txt says

  This product includes software developed by Andy Clark.

Could we specify what this software is? It makes it easier to keep
track of things.

Also, I think NOTICE and LICENSE (without .txt extension) are the
preferred filenames, can someone confirm?

-Bertrand