tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Formats and license files
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:06:34 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm working on adding Tika to Solr
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-284) and am trying to figure out
> how to include the Tika jar.  I see the standalone jar and the base jar.
>  Does the standalone jar pass all the ASF license concerns?

Yes, we've been pretty careful with that stuff. The only problem is with PDFBox:

Now that PDFBox is incubating I've been doing a closer license review
of everything that's included there (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-366), and not everything
there meets Apache policies even though PDFBox as a whole has been
under the BSD license. I'm trying to resolve all the issues and have a
0.8.0-incubating version released ASAP, but until that the licensing
status of the PDFBox dependency is a bit unclear. Note that many
Apache projects have been bundling PDFBox for years with no issues
being raised, so this may be a bit academic.

> Based on Tika's NOTICES, it seems like it does, but it struck me that Tika
> is not, so far, providing a binary release.

I think we have everything in place for the 0.2 release, we just need
someone to roll out the release (I should have time for that in a week
or two unless anyone else wants to step up). Given the PDFBox concerns
it might make sense to leave the standalone binary out of the release
for now or to explicitly exclude PDFBox from the jar.

BR,

Jukka Zitting