tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tika 0.2 Release Plan
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:19:47 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Dave Meikle <loompa@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/17 Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>
>> Good. I guess the jar artifact generated by the Maven build would be
>> good enough as a released binary, or did you plan to do a more
>> extensive -bin packaging?
>
> I was planning to add assembly descriptors for -src and -bin packages.

OK, that's fine as well.

Personally I'd just go for a packaged svn export as the source release
and the normal Maven build artifact (tika-0.2.jar) as the binary
artifact. This way the source we release would be the bits that we
have worked on and tagged in SVN instead of a build artifact, however
similar those may be in practice.

See [1] for my message on this from last year. More generally you may
want to review the threads [2] and [3] that discuss the 0.1 release.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/jnthn2q4pghqxjlc
[2] http://markmail.org/message/r3bmiwlv2vql33pe
[3] http://markmail.org/message/ks2rancq4ahd3k6z

>> It would be nice to have the release deployed also to the central
>> Maven repository. Are you familiar with the way
>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/ works?
>
> I am not I am afraid. I take it this is where releases get placed after they
> have passed the PMC vote for release to the world.

No, that would be /www/www.apache.org/dist/lucene/tika (I just created
the directory).

The m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository is a way for us to publish release
artifacts to the central Maven repository. There are a few ways to
handle publishing of Maven release artifacts; one way is to "mvn
deploy" the release candidate to an empty staging repository for
review during the release vote. Once the vote has passed, the staged
artifacts can then be copied to
/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository on
people.apache.org, from where they will be automatically synced to the
central Maven repository.

See [4] and [5] for more background.

[4] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
[5] http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html