tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tika 0.2 Release
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:09:24 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> I think the incubator ship has sailed: Tika has graduated, long live Tika!
> Any release after graduation shouldn't include incubator references.

Agreed. The reason why we still had those in the source was that the
migration wasn't yet complete when the release was cut and the vote
started. Now we're done with the migration, but the old references
still work so it's IMHO not that big a deal. It's not like we have the
Incubation disclaimers etc. in there.

> : now updated all Incubator references, so any new release will have
> : this issue fixed. Given the PMC pushback; perhaps we should just scrap
> : the 0.2 release and go directly to 0.3 based on the current trunk?
>
> I don't know enough about how the codelines have progressed to have an
> opinion on that, but I'm sure the next release can be *named* 0.2 even if
> you guys decide to abandom the current branch.

There are some nice post-0.2 improvements already in the trunk
(especially TIKA-175), so if we re-roll the release I'd start again
with the latest trunk. Whether we call the result "0.2" or "0.3" is
not that big a deal. I prefer "0.3" to avoid any confusion about
what's actually included in the release.

> Based on your email though, it sounds like a few s/incubator/lucene/
> changes and another paragraph in the README file is really all that needs
> to be "fixed" to make 0.2 releasable (in my opinion anyway)

We could do that as well. Dave, what's your preference?

> Ahhh..... see, my whole confusion was in thinking the docs have been
> applicable since 0.1 (I'm starting to really understand why Doug has
> argued so strongly in the past that the "main" set of docs a project has
> on the site should always be the last official release)

Yeah, that's a good point. Currently our documentation is still in
quite a flux, and I hope that the situation stabilizes at least by
1.0.

> By all means, ship with the documentation you have -- don't hold up a
> release waiting to write new docs -- but *something* should be in the
> README about how to "use" tika.  I've got a suggested path below.

OK, thanks! I committed the changes to trunk (see TIKA-177).

BR,

Jukka Zitting