tika-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tika committers and PMC interaction (Was: Moving the web site)
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:51:25 GMT

On Nov 16, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> As we complete the transition from the Incubator to Lucene the
> ultimate control over the committership and releases in Tika moves to
> the Lucene PMC.
>
> Mark and Sami are members of the PMC and a few other members are also
> on this list, so the interaction with the PMC should be easy. However,
> in practice: How does a Lucene subproject interact with the PMC in
> matters like board reports, committership changes, and release votes?

We're pretty laid back and trust the subs, but here's some general
guidelines:

1. We try to have at least 1 committer from every project on the PMC.
Come board report time, I nag each sub (on the PMC) to write their
part (our reports are checked into SVN under the Member PMC area) and
then submit it.  If I know enough of what's going on, I'll write up
the draft too.

2. For committership changes, they either come internally from the PMC
or sometimes the committers on a sub will send a nomination to private@l.a.o
.  We more or less follow http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/howtobecomeacommitter.html
  which can be summarized as:  1) be respectful, 2) 3-4 good,
significant patches that show a good knowledge of the system, 3) stick
around and be active and helpful.

3. For releases, just cc private@l.a.o w/ the [VOTE] thread (it will
get moderated through) if you don't feel there are enough PMC members
watching the list.  We generally do release candidates first and then
call the vote.  I'd suggest for this first Lucene release, that Tika
CC's private@, after that, I'd say you only need to do it if you don't
get 3 PMC votes on tika-dev@.

At any rate, we're always open to suggestions, too, but this has
worked pretty well for us so far.

-Grant