tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Koren <jonat...@soe.ucsc.edu>
Subject request: better exception handling
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 01:34:33 GMT
Tika needs handle the exceptions of its underlying libraries cleaner.
Apparently for certain exceptions, it simply throws them back up the
stack where eventually they get missed via a "throws Exception"
statement.  I propose that whatever exceptions get thrown by the
underlying libraries get handled/ignored as appropriate by Tika.  If
Tika has to rethrow them, it should catch the RandomLibraryException
and then rethrow it as a TikaException, since that's exception that's
provided by Tika.

I bring this up, because what I assume is an IIOException from
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGMetadata ("JFIF not permitted in
stream metadata") got rethrown by Tika and it caused my program to
fail as it got missed by all my catches and eventually rethrown all
the way back up to main.
--
Jonathan Koren
jonathan@soe.ucsc.edu