tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: request: better exception handling
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:02:59 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Jonathan Koren <jonathan@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> I bring this up, because what I assume is an IIOException from
>  com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGMetadata ("JFIF not permitted in stream
> metadata") got rethrown by Tika and it caused my program to fail as it got
> missed by all my catches and eventually rethrown all the way back up to
> main.

This is something I've been worrying about as well.

The problem is that currently Tika has no way to distinguish between
IOExceptions caused by the document input stream failing and by the
parser library failing to parse the document. The former should be
allowed to reach the client application as documented in the @throws
IOException clause of the parse() method, but the latter should be
caught and wrapped into a TikaException.

I've been doing some background work to enable such distinctions, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-192. Would you be interested
in joining the effort?

BR,

Jukka Zitting