tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using standard XMP schemas for image and audio metadata
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 18:59:52 GMT
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Jonathan Koren <jonathan@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Jonathan Koren <jonathan@soe.ucsc.edu>
>> wrote:
>>> The problem with all these metadata standards is that they're all dumb in
>>> the sense that they duplicate effort.
>>
>> Agreed. So why would we want to duplicate the effort in Tika?
>
> Because someone is going to be stuck doing it anyway.

Why? The metadata keys I proposed are semantically equivalent to the
custom keys we use now. Why would someone need to specify custom keys
when standard alternatives for the exact same concepts already exist?
Note that I'm only proposing that we change the keys of the six
metadata entries I listed.

I have a concrete use case where doing this would be beneficial: My
employer is building a digital asset management application where we
plan to leverage XMP for metadata handling. Rather than explicitly
mapping each individual Tika metadata key to equivalent XMP entries,
it would be much easier and clearer to just map the "tiff" and "xmlDM"
prefixes to appropriate XMP namespaces when importing Tika metadata.
We also wouldn't need to keep updating the metadata mappings whenever
new Tika versions start supporting new keys.

Is there some better way for us to implement this use case? Are there
clients that would be adversely affected by this change (apart from
the obvious backwards compatibility issue that I don't consider too
serious for a 0.x release)?

BR,

Jukka Zitting