tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Site
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 12:31:17 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> i wondered whether it might be time to make some change to the tika website

It probably is. See also the related earlier discussion:
http://markmail.org/message/h2tv4xnvvnqnwok5

> i find creating user content much easier and quicker with confluence.
> it also allows a lower barrier to entry for documentation (anyone with
> CLA can be given karma without needing to be a committer).

Anyone with a CLA can also be made an svn committer. The svn tooling
might be a bit troublesome for newbies, but the APT format we use is
as simple as editing a wiki.

We already have a mechanism that automatically builds and deploys the
web site, so contributors don't need to worry about that part.

> so, i wondering whether it might be better to switch to confluence for
> the content on the main site and then use maven to generate modular
> subsites aimed at developers and linked from the main site.

Having used Confluence now in a few projects I'm not that happy with
it. The change notifications it generates are quite useless and the
auto-export mechanism is hard to customize. Also, the infrastructure
team is currently not too happy about the fact that the Confluence
installation is not being properly maintained.

So, for now I'd stick with the Maven-generated site, and perhaps make
the Tika wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/tika/FrontPage) more prominent
to encourage random documentation contributions.

BR,

Jukka Zitting