tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Logging in Tika
Date Sat, 23 May 2009 07:16:18 GMT
Hi,

Opinions on how to handle logging in Tika? This question can be split
in three parts:

1) Logging in tika-core. Currently only the MimeTypesReader class
contains logging statements (commons-logging) in tika-core. It would
be feasible to even avoid all logging in tika-core.

2) Logging in tika-parsers. This is the trickiest part as different
parser libraries have different logging dependencies. I'm inclined to
push the problem to downstream projects like tika-app and leave the
logging dependencies as-is in tika-parsers. To keep things simple I'd
like to avoid any logging by the Parser adapter classes.

3) Logging in tika-app. A good question. As a standalone runnable jar
application I'd simply force all logging through something like log4j
and even handle all logging configuration through simple command line
arguments (--verbose, --debug) to TikaCLI. However, since tika-app is
now also an OSGi bundle, we might look at using things like the OSGi
log service. Not sure how well these two approaches work together, so
perhaps we should rather create a separate tika-osgi bundle for that?

BR,

Jukka Zitting