tika-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Site
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 12:58:51 GMT
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

>> i find creating user content much easier and quicker with confluence.
>> it also allows a lower barrier to entry for documentation (anyone with
>> CLA can be given karma without needing to be a committer).
>
> Anyone with a CLA can also be made an svn committer. The svn tooling
> might be a bit troublesome for newbies, but the APT format we use is
> as simple as editing a wiki.
>
> We already have a mechanism that automatically builds and deploys the
> web site, so contributors don't need to worry about that part.

the round trip time is the major pain for me

on my AMD64 3000, "mvn clean package site" takes 8 mins and "mvn site"
 5 mins (maxing CPU and memory)

this reduces quality (i can't proof read is too slow) and quantity.
i'm also *much* less likely to create substantial documentation since
forces me to dedicate my more powerful development box to the task.

- robert