tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jzitt...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Logging question
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:37:50 GMT
Hi,

From: Mattmann, Chris A (388J):
> I think the intention is *to not do* any logging as you mentioned.

Yep. The last time we discussed this was in 2009 [1], and then the consensus was to avoid
all (or at least most) logging in Tika and simply leave all upstream parsers to use their
own logging mechanism.

The result is that currently we have transitive dependencies to both commons-logging and slf4j,
and I believe some of our parsers also use java.util.logging. I wouldn't be surprised if we
also ended up with a dependency to log4j at some point.

It's then up to downstream projects to set up their logging environment in a way that works
for all of these libraries. For example in Jackrabbit we use the slf4j bindings to map all
commons-logging and java.util.logging messages to slf4j, which we then direct to Logback for
writing out to a log file.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/mdehp7n6gunzsy4g

BR,

Jukka Zitting