tika-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1163970 - in /tika/trunk: tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/extractor/ tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/io/ tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/parser/ tika-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tika/parser/external/ tika-pa
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:39:04 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> We might want to mark APIs like TemporaryResources "internal" in the
> javadocs, ie, that we reseve the right to suddenly change them and
> they are just public so that the sub-packages in Tika can use them.

The trouble is that we'll want other people to be able to implement
their own parser and detector classes that plug into Tika. So as a
general rule I'd treat anything in tika-core that's not explicitly
private as a part of our public API that should be kept
backwards-compatible except for major version upgrades like the 0.x to
1.x jump we're about to make.

BR,

Jukka Zitting