tika-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: MimeTypes.java final?
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 19:42:25 GMT
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Ryan McKinley wrote:
> The key things I am stuck with:
> 1. As is, MimeTypes#forName(String name) will get or create the
> MimeType.  There is no way to ask if the MimeTypes registry already
> knows about the type.

I think the idea is that you use the underlying MediaTypeRegistry if you
want to have more control over this

> 2. No way to show magic or rootXML in my UI since they are private,
> final and don't have getters:
>    private List<Magic> magics = null;
>    private List<RootXML> rootXML = null;

Could you maybe explain why you need these?

> In a similar question, is there interest in adding other metadata to
> the core MimeType class, like URLs to documentation, or the UTI
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier), or a friendly
> display name?

There might be. We already have things like comments, so these might be a
good addition

Could you perhaps propose what the XML would look like for a few common
types with this extra info it in, so we can get a better idea of what info
you'd be adding?

Nick