tika-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ryan Krueger (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (TIKA-1132) Parsing some XLS documents hangs entire JVM, requires kill -9
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:44:20 GMT
Ryan Krueger created TIKA-1132:
----------------------------------

             Summary: Parsing some XLS documents hangs entire JVM, requires kill -9
                 Key: TIKA-1132
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1132
             Project: Tika
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: parser
    Affects Versions: 1.3, 1.2
         Environment: Linux Suse:
java version "1.7.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-b147)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 21.0-b17, mixed mode)

OSX 10.8.3:
java version "1.7.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_06-b24)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

            Reporter: Ryan Krueger
             Fix For: 1.1


Some XLS documents hang the entire JVM.  A control-C or regular kill won't stop the JVM, a
kill -9 is required.

We're running within an email server application parsing documents to extract text of all
attachments.  When we hit a message with the affected attachment the entire JVM hangs and
we mark the message to skip extracting the text from the affected message the next attempt.
 Unfortunately, it kills all email processing on the server until the internal watchdogs kill
-9 the application.

We have seen the issue for several months with different documents, but they are always Excel
files.  Some get complaints from Excel when opening but not all.

In addition to experiencing the problem on our Linux servers I have tested on OSX and experienced
the same problems.  I ran the Tika UI and select the affected file or run the CLI.  The problem
is the same.
Tested with java -jar /path/to/tika-app-1.3.jar -t /path/to/file.xls

When running on multi-CPU machines there are two threads running at 100% every time.

Unfortunately, so far I am unable to post any affected documents publicly due to privacy concerns,
however, I can provide samples privately for testing.

I have tested with 1.2 and 1.3 with the same result.  Running 1.1 the text is accurately extracted.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message