tika-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject RE: MagicDetector don't work for all RFC882 message Types.
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2013 15:29:41 GMT
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, Allison, Timothy B. wrote:
> I think I may be uniquely qualified to answer this from an Idiot's
> guide/newish to Tika perspective. :)  Apologies if I'm missing out on
> more obvious answers!

Feedback from people like you is exactly what we need! I've been around
too long to be able to give it the fresh set of eyes someone like Kai-Uwe
will be hitting

> SVN info:
> http://tika.apache.org/source-repository.html

Ah, that's what I wanted! Where did you find that linked? We might need to
make it more obvious

> Generally how to contribute (Lucene has a good description):
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute
>
> POI does too:
> http://poi.apache.org/guidelines.html

We maybe just want to add a small page that lists the Tika rules, then
links to those other resources elsewhere in Apache for more help.

(For example, Tika always requires a jira issue for all changes, while POI
sometimes lets small changes sneak through without one if the developer
themselves spots it. POI is stricter on adding things to the changelog,
Tika tends to just be for changes a user will notice, with the JIRA log
available for details. There are others too, that's just what springs
straight to mind)

Nick