tika-dev mailing list archives

From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ANY23 0.9.0
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 19:50:26 GMT
Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for the feedback.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM, <dev-digest-help@tika.apache.org> wrote:

> Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ANY23 0.9.0
>         10080 by: Lewis John Mcgibbney
>         10081 by: S.L
>         10082 by: Giovanni Tummarello
>
> my shallow understanding from following the mails a bit is that 0.9 might
> be the last release of any23 before mergining it with Tika.

Yeah this was the idea. I thought pushing the progress that had been made
in the 0.9.0 development drive into a release would be the best way to go
forward. Also I had a free cycle the day so I took advantage of it and
pushed the release candidate.

> This is probably pretty good, however, i have a feeling that maybe its good
> to push and fill the biggest holes in any23 before we do this.

I also agree with you here. It will however serve a purpose for me to state
that from yj POV Any23 doesn't really have any *holes* as such. You are
right that the RDFa implementations need some work however this is nearly
addressed and can be found in a feature branch. We just need to stabilize
that then merge it with trunk.

> So question are:
>
> 1) What are the biggest issues, is it the isnt the RDFa test suite support
> to be improved/completed (see the issues in 1.0)?

Please see above.

> if so, from the FBK point of view we'll be happy to put extra resources
> into this, and reach at least this level. Further questions

This would be excellent. Truly excellent. It would be extremely helpful if
more folks from FBK could get involved (again). I think generally testing
the release candidate artifacts would be a huge step in the right direction.

> 2) would others be willing to support in this extra push?

This may be a bit of a problem as the current scenario and community
involvement lacks committers with time to push things on. This being said,
I am optimistic that if the 0.9.0 code can be released, then we can
progress with the merging of Tika and Any23 e.g. donate the Any23 code to
the Tika community and make it part of Tika.

> 3) do we still call it 0.9?

I think that the naming of the artifact is not really too important right
now. This is of course only my opinion and I respect if it is not what
others think. Although there has not been a great deal of work done between
0.8.0 and 0.9.0 it is still enough to justify a release. Especially given
the fact that we are potentially progressing with a rejuvenation of Any23
if it comes to be part of Tika. That would be an exciting prospect and
means that the code can and will be used by many many more folks.

> looking forward to hear from you

Please let me know how the above sounds. I am very willing to move on with
the drive to get Any23 moving again and working with folks like yourself
and others who have a working knowledge of the project would be the best
chance Any23 has of remaining a useful project.

Thank you
Lewis