tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject tika-server exception handling
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:00:15 GMT
All,

As part of Tika-1302/TIKA-1330,  I'm looking into exception handling in tika-server.  Specifically,
I'd like to add a TikaServerDaemon that starts Tika server in a separate process (not thread)
and can restart it when necessary.  This is somewhat based on an idea from William Palmer
(http://www.openplanetsfoundation.org/blogs/2014-03-21-tika-ride-characterising-web-content-nanite).
  With a daemon/watcher/restarter in place,

1) If a parser causes an OOM Exception or any type of Error , should we shut the server down?

2) Are there other exceptions that are serious enough to warrant shutting down a server?

3) If X number of parsers hang for longer than Y millis, should we shut the server down?

I won't make any changes until after 1.6 is released, and the default behaviors will all remain
in place, but I wanted to get feedback from the community to make sure that I'm on a track
that makes sense.

Thank you.

       Best,

             Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Sergey Beryozkin [mailto:sberyozkin@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:01 PM
To: dev@tika.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is TikaExceptionMapper in tika-server actually used?

Hi Tim, sorry for a delay,
I can see it is expected to process a checked exception, so unless we
have one of the root resources throwing it from one of the methods then
it is not used

Thanks, Sergey
On 19/06/14 02:22, Allison, Timothy B. wrote:
> All,
>
>    In working on adding the stacktrace from a parse exception to the server response,
I'm trying to find the most jax-rsly elegant way of handling exceptions.  There seems to be
a bit of duplicated code, some with good reason, for exception handling.  Is TikaExceptionMapper
actually used by anything?  If not, should I try to modify code to use it or something similar
to it?