tika-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Johannes Mockenhaupt (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Comment Edited] (TIKA-1435) Update rome dependency to 1.5
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 19:13:35 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1435?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14160745#comment-14160745
] 

Johannes Mockenhaupt edited comment on TIKA-1435 at 10/6/14 7:13 PM:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Chris for the quick revert.

Here's what I found out so far:
netcdf has a dependency on jdom with scope provided. Rome 1.0 has a dependency on jdom as
well and provided netcdf with jdom so far. This was probably not intenteded and hid netcdf's
dependency on jdom.
By upgrading Rome to 1.5, which in turn upgraded its jdom dependency to jdom 2.0, which changed
its namespace, netcdf now fails a test because its jdom (1.0) dependency isn't satisfied anymore.

One solution is to make the netcdf dependency explicit by adding a dependency on jdom 1.0.
This leads to both jdom 1 & 2 being on the classpath, in different namespaces. This adds
a 150k jar.

The other option is to upgrade netcdf 4.2.20 -> 4.3.22, which also uses jdom 2.0. That
way, only one jdom library is needed. netcdf declares its dependency on jdom 2.0 in that version
properly (AFAIK), as it uses the default scope rather than provided.

The later option seems good, however, the 4.2.20 version of netcdf seems to be the last that
has its dependencies released to maven.org; the later release requires ~2 dependencies (a
parent pom and udunits - see attachment), for which a repository needs to be added. Is that
an option for a project like tika? (Repo is: https://artifacts.unidata.ucar.edu/content/repositories/unidata-releases)



was (Author: jotomo):
Chris thanks.

Here's what I found out so far:
netcdf has a dependency on jdom with scope provided. Rome 1.0 has a dependency on jdom as
well and provided netcdf with jdom so far. This was probably not intenteded and hid netcdf's
dependency on jdom.
By upgrading Rome to 1.5, which in turn upgraded its jdom dependency to jdom 2.0, which changed
its namespace, netcdf now fails a test because its jdom (1.0) dependency isn't satisfied anymore.

One solution is to make the netcdf dependency explicit by adding a dependency on jdom 1.0.
This leads to both jdom 1 & 2 being on the classpath, in different namespaces. This adds
a 150k jar.

The other option is to upgrade netcdf 4.2.20 -> 4.3.22, which also uses jdom 2.0. That
way, only one jdom library is needed. netcdf declares its dependency on jdom 2.0 in that version
properly (AFAIK), as it uses the default scope rather than provided.

The later option seems good, however, the 4.2.20 version of netcdf seems to be the last that
has its dependencies released to maven.org; the later release requires ~2 dependencies (a
parent pom and udunits - see attachment), for which a repository needs to be added. Is that
an option for a project like tika? (Repo is: https://artifacts.unidata.ucar.edu/content/repositories/unidata-releases)


> Update rome dependency to 1.5
> -----------------------------
>
>                 Key: TIKA-1435
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1435
>             Project: Tika
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: parser
>    Affects Versions: 1.6
>            Reporter: Johannes Mockenhaupt
>            Assignee: Chris A. Mattmann
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 1.7
>
>
> Rome 1.5 has been released to Sonatype (https://github.com/rometools/rome/issues/183).
Though the website (http://rometools.github.io/rome/) is blissfully ignorant of that. The
update is mostly maintenance, adopting slf4j and generics as well as moving the namespace
from _com.sun.syndication_ to _com.rometools_. PR upcoming.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message