tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject Parser that includes LGPL as "provided"?
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:16:01 GMT
All,
  After I dig myself out of several other issues that I'd like to tackle, I'd like to add
a parser for MSAccess files.  There's a pure java LGPL library, Jackcess, available on maven,
and it appears to be quite active.
  I know we have a list of third party parsers, but I'm wondering if we could write a Tika
parser that uses Jackcess but sets it as "provided" in the pom.  This seems to me to be equivalent
to our current "excludes" statements for some other LGPL files.
   Users would be responsible for grabbing the jar and putting it on their classpath, and
our parser would check to see if it was available in the classpath before parsing or even
admitting that it could handle an MSAccess file.
  Is this ok?  Or would we have to offer the Tika parser as a purely third party option, i.e.
hang it on github?

    Thank you.

         Best,

             Tim