tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: ISO 19115 as a metadata model for Tika?
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:47:40 GMT
> So this email is for discussion only - not for immediate action.
Got it.  As you can see by TIKA-1607 and [0], this has been an ongoing and important discussion,
and I appreciate your contributions...I'm not a standards person, and was interested to learn
more about ISO 19115.

> But approach 1 or c suggests that different conceptual models (e.g. Dublin core versus
ISO 19115) would co-exist.
Y, as I'm thinking more about c) (and note that this is a personal and half-baked proposal,
not at all speaking for the Tika community), we could offer multiple models for advanced users.
 If someone wanted to contribute code that would represent metadata in ISO 19115 for the appropriate
parsers or if we could scrape ISO-19115 out of documents (as we might consider doing with
XMP streams), the advanced user could grab that node and go to town.  To emphasize Nick's
point, we absolutely want to keep the basics easy to get to.  No single standard is likely
to be sufficient for us, and yet, we also don't want to create our very own.

Again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of Nick's point on keeping simple things simple.
 As SOLR-7232 shows, even our current model is not being used correctly by very important
consumers....I really need to get to work on that one...

Cheers,

              Tim

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/tika/MetadataRoadmap