tika-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Git
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:44:34 GMT
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) wrote:
> I propose we move to writeable git repos for Tika for our repository. I
> mostly interact with Git & Github nowadays even with Tika using the
> mirroring and PR interaction support.

I'm -0 on this at the moment

Having followed other Apache lists, it seems that there's quite a few ways
to use Git, not all of them compatible with the Apache way, and some of
them easy to do wrong.

Were we to have some proposed guidelines/information/rules on using Git
for Tika, such as about what branches squashing might be permitted on,
rules for that, information/rules on remote branches, how to handle / when
to use / not-use private branches and github branches, and the like, then
I'd be minded to change my vote

I'm also wondering how it would work with the website pulling in bits of
the Tika Examples module from SVN for the examples page? That currently
uses a svn:externals, so we can keep the code in a normal module + unit
test it, then pulls in snippets, how would that work if the code moved to
git?

Nick