tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Moving SCM to Git
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2016 00:31:32 GMT
Hey Ken,

Projects have been using writeable git repos at the ASF since 2009-2010. The recent conversation
at the foundation level was - should we allow GitHub as a canonical external repo and more
broadly - is this possible in general? The Whimsy project is currently undergoing that experiment
and it's going well but nothing official to report yet.

Beyond that - projects can release from and use writeable Git repos. Some projects were getting
around history by squashing commits ahead of the repo and getting around infra's checks on
master (aka trunk) by using different main branch names but we're not in that boat.

Cheers,
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 3:47 PM, Ken Krugler <kkrugler_lists@transpac.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I'd be +1, but I don't have the essence of the "Re: git (Was: ASF/GitHub Findings of
Fact / Statements of Principles)" thread on the Apache members list clearly in my mind.

> Specifically, while that thread was spinning merrily away, there were concerns about
immutability when using git.

> E.g. one comment was...
>
>> releases must correspond to an immutable tag in a repository on ASF hardware.
>>
>> "Canonical" is needed for releases, and for IP provenance, so I'd augment the above
with a second requirement: for each release tag, we must be able to establish the provenance
of all files referenced by that tag.

>> I believe that is the essence of the Foundation's requirements for version control.
Both can be satisfied via svn or git. Git may require external sources to satisfy one or both
of those requirements. svn inherently has the first nailed, and is much easier for provenance
(there may be edge cases I'm missing offhand, but we know the ICLA/grant associated with each
change leading up to the tagged release).