tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Backward compatibility
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:56:14 GMT
+1

Thank you, Konstantin, for catching this.  I agree about breaking changes in trunk.

Should we plop the old classes back where they were, add deprecation and live with a bit of
messiness for a few versions?

-----Original Message-----
From: Konstantin Gribov [mailto:grossws@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 10:50 AM
To: dev@tika.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Backward compatibility

Hi, folks.

I want to bring our attention to maintaining backward compatibility on master/1.x branch.
I've recently found that we dropped o.a.tika.language.LanguageIdentifier in 3a7a94c[1] (merged
on 2016-03-07, see [2] also). It will brake downstream dependants of `tika-core` which use
`LanguageIdentifier`.

It looks OK in 2.x branch, but I'm against sudden API changes (especially dropping public
classes/interfaces) in 1.x branch. At least we should mark it `@Deprecated` for version or
couple before dropping.

I'd like to bring this and related classes back before 1.13 release if nobody objects to.
I will haven't time to refactor it to use new APIs till middle of May.

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/tika/commit/3a7a94ca5040eabd90f6060effc517126def3fc1
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1723
--