tika-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Shabanali Faghani (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (TIKA-2038) A more accurate facility for detecting Charset Encoding of HTML documents
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 23:18:41 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-2038?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15854930#comment-15854930
] 

Shabanali Faghani commented on TIKA-2038:
-----------------------------------------

You’re welcome Tim,
bq. If you have a complete list of the TLDs we should sample from, that'd be useful.

I haven’t a complete list of the TLDs at hand but maybe the method that I had used to find
corresponding TLDs to some languages would be helpful. Logically, I used a kind of SQL inner
join on [List of official languages|https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_languages]
and [Country code top-level domains|https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains#Country_code_top-level_domains]
to extract cc TLDs for languages, IIRC. Right now, I found also [another page in Wikipedia|https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_the_number_of_countries_in_which_they_are_recognized_as_an_official_language]
that is more succinct and very handy. I think doing an inner join between [Official languages
by countries| https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_the_number_of_countries_in_which_they_are_recognized_as_an_official_language]
and [Country code top-level domains|https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains#Country_code_top-level_domains]
is a reliable method to get TLDs in the right language list, but with some considerations.
For example, the [*.ch*| https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ch] cc TLD may should not to be considered
for German language, because Italian is also an official language in Switzerland. Maybe it
would be useful to get some compound languages in our test, just like *Indian, English* in
the table above, that is correspond to *.in* TLD.


> A more accurate facility for detecting Charset Encoding of HTML documents
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: TIKA-2038
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-2038
>             Project: Tika
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: core, detector
>            Reporter: Shabanali Faghani
>            Priority: Minor
>         Attachments: comparisons_20160803b.xlsx, comparisons_20160804.xlsx, iust_encodings.zip,
lang-wise-eval_results.zip, lang-wise-eval_runnable.zip, lang-wise-eval_source_code.zip, tika_1_14-SNAPSHOT_encoding_detector.zip
>
>
> Currently, Tika uses icu4j for detecting charset encoding of HTML documents as well as
the other naturally text documents. But the accuracy of encoding detector tools, including
icu4j, in dealing with the HTML documents is meaningfully less than from which the other text
documents. Hence, in our project I developed a library that works pretty well for HTML documents,
which is available here: https://github.com/shabanali-faghani/IUST-HTMLCharDet
> Since Tika is widely used with and within some of other Apache stuffs such as Nutch,
Lucene, Solr, etc. and these projects are strongly in connection with the HTML documents,
it seems that having such an facility in Tika also will help them to become more accurate.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.15#6346)

Mime
View raw message