tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Allison, Timothy B." <talli...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Tess4j API for TIKA OCR parser
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2017 15:44:06 GMT
+1

Same experience, of same vintage. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Luís Filipe Nassif [mailto:lfcnassif@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:34 AM
To: dev@tika.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tess4j API for TIKA OCR parser

Hi Thejan,

Before the first version of TesseractOcrParser was commited I tried to use Tess4j, that was
4 years ago. Unfortunatelly that time I run into some problems like permanent hangs with tesseract/Tess4j
and, even worse, Jvm crashes because of bugs into native code (pointers to crazy adresses)
when processing corrupted images. So I changed the strategy and take the Runtime.exec way
to execute tesseract out of process to get rid of those Jvm crashes.

That was a long time ago, maybe those problems are gone away with current tesseract and Tess4j.
But I recommend for now commiting your changes in a new parser instead of changing the default
TesseractOcrParser, until the new code is tested against millions of images from the wild
with tika-batch so it can be proved it is stable enough to be the default Ocr parser of Tika.

Best,
Luis