tika-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org>
Subject Re: Require guidance from where to start contributing in Apache Tika
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 23:17:05 GMT
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017, Avtar Singh Mehra wrote:
> I am new to Apache Tika but have plenty of experience with other Apache
> Softwares like Apache Solr, Apache Lucene, Apache Velocity etc. I would
> like to start contributing to Apache Tika community. It would be great help
> if someone could guide me regarding from where i should start contributing
> to Apache Tika.

The first two places I'd suggest looking are
http://tika.apache.org/contribute.html and
http://tika.apache.org/1.14/parser_guide.html (Get Tika parsing up and
running in 5 minutes). Make sure you're able to add a new dummy mime
type and parser, understand how it works etc. See also
https://wiki.apache.org/tika/Troubleshooting%20Tika for when you hit
issues...

Once you've got the hang of that, let us know of any gaps in the
documentation!

Finally, either pick a JIRA that interests you, or an unsupported format,
and have a try. Use the contributing guide to guide you on submitting
patches, and don't be scared to ask for help :)

Nick