tiles-users mailing list archives

From "Greg Reddin" <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tiles causes EvaluationException in MyFaces
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 20:30:53 GMT
On 5/30/07, Alexandre CorrĂȘa Barbosa <alexandre.correa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I'm using Tiles 2.0.3, with MyFaces 1.1.5 and Tomahawk 1.1.5 into JBoss
> 4.0.5.
> I'm trying to build a h:selectOneMenu, using f:selectItems to define it's
> options, like in the following code:
>
> <t:selectOneMenu id="compId" value="#{MyBean.objectId}"
> required="true" >
> <f:selectItems value="#{MyBean.objectItems}"/>
> </t:selectOneMenu>

Given the code you're using it doesn't really sound like Tiles is the
problem. Even the Tiles exceptions you noted could be pointing to some
deeper error that's getting thrown. I'm not currently using Tiles with JSF;
I'm using Facelets. But I've seen a lot of issues where my code blows up
somewhere and it gets rendered in the browser and in the Tomcat log as a
Facelets or JSF error. If I debug my code or turn up logging I find my own
code is throwing an exception. I'd verify that first. This statement
especially leads me to believe this is the case:

With the following code for my backingBean, it works fine:

I got an error when trying to load the page into jboss log:

> 15:01:03,610 ERROR [[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw
> exception
> javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: Cannot get value for expression '#{
> PalmBatch.varietyItems}'

I could see this error occuring if your database object fails to load the
SelectItems components.

But checking the tiles log, I've got the following exception:
> 2007-05-30 16:57:18,341 2388021 DEBUG [
> org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspUtil]
> (http-0.0.0.0-8180-1:) Unable to execute JSP 2.0 include method.  Trying
> old
> one.
>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(
> NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
>         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(
> DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspUtil.doInclude(JspUtil.java:82)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspTilesRequestContext.include(
> JspTilesRequestContext.java:88)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspTilesRequestContext.dispatch(
> JspTilesRequestContext.java:82)
>         at org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.render(
> BasicTilesContainer.java:460)
>
> And also the following exception (that I think it's thrown after tiles try
> the old include method)
>
> 2007-05-30 16:57:18,978 2388658 ERROR [
> org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspTilesRequestContext] (http-0.0.0.0-8180-1:
> )
> JSPException while including path '/solicLotePalm.jsp'.
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: ServletException while including page.
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspUtil.doInclude(JspUtil.java:98)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspTilesRequestContext.include(
> JspTilesRequestContext.java:88)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.context.JspTilesRequestContext.dispatch(
> JspTilesRequestContext.java:82)
>         at org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.render(
> BasicTilesContainer.java:460)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.taglib.InsertAttributeTag.render(
> InsertAttributeTag.java:141)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.taglib.InsertAttributeTag.render(
> InsertAttributeTag.java:118)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.taglib.RenderTagSupport.execute(
> RenderTagSupport.java:172)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.taglib.RoleSecurityTagSupport.doEndTag(
> RoleSecurityTagSupport.java:76)
>         at org.apache.tiles.jsp.taglib.ContainerTagSupport.doEndTag(
> ContainerTagSupport.java:82)

How are you using Tiles? Are you using the Shale TilesViewHandler, some
other Tiles ViewHandler, or just using Tiles apart from  JSF altogether?

Thanks,
Greg