tiles-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Hepple" <m...@impresariostudios.com>
Subject Configuring Tiles for a modular applications
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:26:19 GMT
Hi,

I'm attempting to make a configuration which will allow me to define modules
at build-time for distribution to various customers. My main client requires
'all' the features, and other clients require a subset of features. It's an
existing application based on Tiles 2.2.2 (although upgrading to 3 if
necessary is fine).

Based on the documentation I assumed I could do something like this:

core-tiles.xml

<definition name="myapp.homepage" template="/layouts/classic.jsp">

  <put-attribute name="header" value="/tiles/banner.jsp" />

  <put-attribute name="menu" value="/tiles/common_menu.jsp" />

  <put-attribute name="body" value="/tiles/home_body.jsp" />

  <put-attribute name="footer" value="/tiles/credits.jsp" />

</definition>

core.jsp

.

<tiles:insertDefinition name="moduleA" ignore="true" />

.

module-a.xml

<definition name="moduleA" template="/moduleA/module.jsp">

Now, if I do that, and include module-a.xml, everything works fine. If I
remove module-a.xml though, I get a runtime exception (as if the
ignore="true" wasn't there).

I did some digging, and found this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TILES-441

which I'm guessing means that insertDefinition in 2.2.2 suffers the same
fate. No problem I thought - time to get up to date.. however it seems that
Tiles 3.x removes support for ignore=true in definitions?

http://tiles.apache.org/framework/tiles-jsp/tagreference.html#tiles:insertDe
finition

So. I'm stumped! Can anyone think of an intelligent way to handle the
non-existence of features in a meaningful manner? Basically all I want is
the ability to do (in pseudo-code)

if moduleA exists:

                                insert module.jsp

                else:

                                do nothing

Thanks for reading, appreciate any help you can provide.

Mike