tinkerpop-dev mailing list archives

From Marko Rodriguez <okramma...@gmail.com>
Subject A Question Regarding TP4 Processor Classifications
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2019 12:31:18 GMT
Hello,

TP4 will not make a distinction between STANDARD (OLTP) and COMPUTER (OLAP) execution models.
In TP4, if a processing engine can convert a bytecode Compilation into a working execution
plan then that is all that matters. TinkerPop does not need to concern itself with whether
that execution plan is “OLTP" or “OLAP" or with the semantics of its execution (function
oriented, iterator oriented, RDD-based, etc.). With that, here are 4 categories of processors
that I believe define the full spectrum of what we will be dealing with:

	1. Real-time single-threaded single-machine.
		* This is STANDARD (OLTP) in TP3.
		* This is the Pipes processor in TP4.

	2. Real-time multi-threaded single-machine.
		* This does not exist in TP3.
		* We should provide an RxJava processor in TP4.

	3. Near-time distributed multi-machine.
		* This does not exist in TP3.
		* We should provide an Akka processor in TP4.

	4. Batch-time distributed multi-machine.
		* This is COMPUTER (OLAP) in TP3 (Spark or Giraph).
		* We should provide a Spark processor in TP4.

I’m not familiar with the specifics of the Flink, Apex, DataFlow, Samza, etc. stream-based
processors. However, I believe they can be made to work in near-time or batch-time depending
on the amount of data pulled from the database. However, once we understand these technologies
better, I believe we should be able to fit them into the categories above.

In conclusion: Do these categories make sense to people? Terminology-wise -- Near-time? Batch-time?
Are these distinctions valid?

Thank you,
Marko.

http://rredux.com <http://rredux.com/>