tinkerpop-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Mallette <spmalle...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] ASF Board Draft Report - April 2020
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2020 20:53:13 GMT
Here is the attached draft of our board report for this month. Please let
me know if you'd like to see something changed or added. Did I miss any
talks or papers (we seem short there this time around)?

Apache TinkerPop is a graph computing framework for both graph databases
(OLTP) and graph analytic systems (OLAP).

## Activity:
TinkerPop released versions 3.3.10 and 3.4.5. Both were release contained
important bug fixes and minor improvements. Within a week of those releases
being available, we received a report of a bug on our user mailing list[1]
in 3.4.5. We deemed the bug especially bad that an immediate patch release
was required and quickly turned around 3.4.6. The bug did not affect 3.3.10.
We've not had to release this sort of "hotfix" since 2011 which goes back
to our pre-Apache days.

During this reporting period, the community added a Slack channel to help
enable a bit more real-time chatter about graphs, Gremlin and TinkerPop.

We saw the growth of the wider TinkerPop ecosystem with the following
release announcements:

* jupyter-gremlin-kernel[2] - a Jupyter kernel for Gremlin
* gremlify[3] - a Gremlin workspace for queries and visualization
* gremlint[4] - a Gremlin code formatter
* Gremlin++[5] - a C++ interpreter for the Gremlin language
* BitGraph[6] - a C++ Backend for the Gremlin with GPU Acceleration

All of these are interesting new additions to the ecosystem. The Jupyter
integration is especially useful in that it puts Gremlin into the hands of
Jupyter users which is a fairly popular ecosystem in and of itself. We
also like the addition of gremlify which will hopefully make learning about
Gremlin easier for folks who want to try it out. gremlint is an incredibly
useful tool for cleaning and formatting Gremlin. We would hope that in the
future that it might have some more official standing within our Apache
project. Finally, Gremlin++ and the related BitGraph represent the first
open source implementation of Gremlin Virtual Machine outside of our
project. While this project is still under development, it represents an
important part of TinkerPop's vision where graph queries written in Gremlin
in any programming language can then be ubiquitously executed in any graph
database/processor developed in any programming language.

There were a number of talks/papers about TinkerPop, Gremlin and related
projects during this reporting period. Here were some by TinkerPop
committers/PMC members, though we also include the paper for Gremlin++ and
BitGraph:

* Gremlin++ & BitGraph: Implementing The Gremlin Traversal Language and a
    GPU-Accelerated Graph Computing Framework[7] - Alexander Barghi
* TinkerPop 2020 - Global Graph Summit[8] - Josh Shinavier

As an additional note along these lines, the paper mentioned in our last
report "Let’s build Bridges, not Walls – SPARQL Querying of TinkerPop Graph
Databases with sparql-gremlin"[9], primarily authored by committer Harsh
Thakkar, received the Best Paper Award at ICSC 2020 the 14th IEEE
International Conference.

Stephen Mallette also a talk scheduled for the DC Apache Roadshow, but that
was cancelled given the current situation with coronavirus.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Releases:
- 3.3.10 (February 3, 2020)
- 3.4.6 (February 20, 2020)

## PMC/Committer:
- Last PMC addition was Jorge Bay-Gondra - October 2018
- Last committer addition was Divij Vaidya - November 2019

## Links
[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gremlin-users/wB0a9uP98Zw/zoZrNk8GFwAJ
[2] https://github.com/gdbassett/jupyter-gremlin-kernel
[3] https://gremlify.com/