From rob...@elastica.com
Subject Re: is it possible to use a tag that defines a scripting variable multiple times in a page?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:21:19 GMT
Isn't declaring the variable just you putting it into the page scope if
it's not already there?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Richard Sand wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to write a tag that uses a bean that I've written.  I want the tag to look
for the bean in the page context, and if its not there, make one and add it to the page.
I want to be able to use the tag in multiple places, and use the bean it creates elsewhere
in the page.

> But this last requirement seems to be a hitch.  i.e., consider the following in a jsp
page:

> <mytags:tag1/>           // this tag creates a bean with an id=mybean
> stuff.....
> <mytags:tag1/>          // this bean sees that id=mybean already exists and reuses
it
> more stuff......
> <% if (mybean.somemethod() == true {....         // this code snippet uses mybean
>
> Is this possible? If I write a TEI that defines mybean and has declare=true, then I get
a compile error because mybean is defined twice.  If I have it set to false, I get an error
for it being undeclared, even with only a single use of mytags and no references to mybean.

> Am I missing something?  Can someone tell me how this can work?  Is there a way to tell
a JSP page that this tag will: "declare a variable if its not already declared in the page"