From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Re[2]: Most useful Tag library Poll
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 16:23:21 GMT
From: "daljeetsingh" <daljeetsingh@softhome.net>
> > Maybe the DBtaglib is the most used library. I mean... I cannot think of
> > Web application without DB access.
>
> The DBtaglib approach throws the MVC right out of the window. Is it
> really the way to go?

Right tool for the right job. There is no correct answer or single design
pattern that should be followed religously for all cases. It depends on
complexity.

a) Sometimes doing a full model 1, 2, or pull based MVC architecture
together with EJBs, session beans, entity beans, data access objects and so
forth is useful and necessary. Sometimes its using a sledgehammer to crack a
nut.

b) Sometimes a simple MVC model where model JSP pages do SQL or use beans to
output XML which then gets styled by view JSPs with XSLT is a nice simple
seperation of model from view with custom Java actions (beans and/or
servlets) for the controllers.

c) Sometimes getting a web site up and working fast is more important so
doing a few simple JSP pages with embedded SQL is fine.

Generally though some kind of MVC architecture is recommended for modestly
complex systems. I tend to favour option b) to start with then refactor to
more complex EJB style implementations a) if and when necessary.

James