From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Most useful Tag library Poll
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:32:52 GMT
From: "Morgan Delagrange" <morgand@apache.org>
> Interestingly, lately I've seen lots of developers come to the
> conclusion that EJBs (Entity and Session) are not appropriate for all (or
> even most) Enterprise tasks.  I've seen several threads lately about
> companies that started out with pure EJB solutions and then scaled back to
> simple classes running inside the Servlet container and/or taglibs,
> resulting in significant performance boosts (I myself worked on such a
> project).

Thats my experience too.

> Lots of companies start out under the assumption that all their business
> logic MUST be in an EJB, rather than a class or taglib.  The reality is,
> EJBs are not always an efficient alternative.  Remember EJBs create
> signficant Serialization overhead and, in the case of stateless beans,
> often lead to serious sacrifices in programming technique.
>
> Use the right tool for the right job.  If you are performing the same
> credit card transactions over and over, then an EJB is probably the
> ticket.  If, on the other hand, you're providing a view of some database
> rows to your JSP, you might want to avoid the Serialization overhead and
> use a tag library (like DBTags :).

I agree 100%

I think its better to start simple, with beans, servlets and JSP then
refactor in EJBs if and when it makes sense to do so. Starting from EJBs
first then building the application on top can often lead to problems,
especially in the areas of system performance and developer productivity.

James