From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Fwd: Taglibs, log tags for log4j
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:26:37 GMT

FYI, Jochen Hiller has written logs tags based on log4j. The code seems
pretty complete but I am not necessarily a good judge. I have also
noticed his code resides under the org.apache.log4j.taglib namespace
which hints that the code may be distributed along with standard log4j
distribution, i.e. log4j.jar.

As far as I know, there are now 3 logging taglibs based on
log4j. Considering competition is good then there is nothing wrong
with this state of affairs. However, this also means that there is
wasted development effort.

How about closer coopreation between the taglibs project and
and the log4j project? Do you think we could work together to
incorporate jakarta-taglib's log tag in log4j? I welcome your
suggestions and comments.

Jochen, I strongly encourage you work with the taglibs group in order
to incorporate your ideas into taglibs/log.

By the way, I have noticed the assert tag. Since assert is a
language-reserved word in JDK 1.4, lacking a better solution, log4j
will simply drop support for the Category.assert method. This is
already the case in the code contained in the log4j CVS rep. I
apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch