From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Taglibs, log tags for log4j
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:17:58 GMT

Hi James,

At 14:50 13.07.2001 +0100, James Strachan wrote:
>Hi Ceki
>
>> From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:cgu@qos.ch]
>>
>> FYI, Jochen Hiller has written logs tags based on log4j. The code seems
>> pretty complete but I am not necessarily a good judge. I have also
>> noticed his code resides under the org.apache.log4j.taglib namespace
>> which hints that the code may be distributed along with standard log4j
>> distribution, i.e. log4j.jar.
>>
>> As far as I know, there are now 3 logging taglibs based on
>> log4j.
>

>Actually the log taglib in jakarta-taglibs started life as Joseph Ottinger's
>logging taglib - which may be one of the 3 you are thinking of.
>Joe donated his taglib to the taglibs project some time back.

If I understand correctly, http://www.adjacency.org/logtags.jsp is
no longer pertinent...

>> Considering competition is good then there is nothing wrong
>> with this state of affairs. However, this also means that there is
>> wasted development effort.
>
>Agreed.
>
>If Jochen merges his work with the log taglib in jakarata taglibs (which
>seems likely) then we'll have only one.
>

>> How about closer coopreation between the taglibs project and
>> and the log4j project? Do you think we could work together to
>> incorporate jakarta-taglib's log tag in log4j? I welcome your
>> suggestions and comments.
>

>I think the jakarta-taglib project is a better place for the log taglib
>since it is a taglib. e.g. it can share work on common build formats,
>generation of HTML documentation and JSP 1.1, 1.2 TLDs and so on.

Whatever you deem most appropriate is fine with me. IMHO,
pre-packaging log taglib in log4j will give the former a serious
boost. This may seem like a silly marketing detail but it can make
a real difference for the log taglib. Regards, Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch