From Geoff Lane <gl...@inclusion.net>
Subject Re: Query Caching
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:51:38 GMT
Slightly off topic - but I've noticed A LOT of the traffic on this list
is about the DB Tag related stuff. Am I the only one who thinks that the
whole idea of DB tags (for anything other than a very trivial site) is
really a Bad Idea?

It just seems to me that the domain of storage and retrieval lies way
outside the domain of display. I'm willing to hear opinions on why
people use these - but they totally break MVC (which not everyone cares
about I admit).

And - if the queries where being done in regular Java and only being
accessed from Tag Labraries - then adding a layer of caching with a
WeakHashmap or something would be rather trivial - then you'd just have
a little penalty on a cache miss of having to do the query and add the
value back into the cache.

On that note - you might be able to sub class the DB Tags to have the
caching done based on the Query and some parameters passed in.
Basically, you'd need a singleton instance of the Cache class so that
all the tags could reference the same object (guess you'd need to do
some synchronizing on the object whenever you updated the cache). Not
sure if singletons get GCed - since they keep a reference to an instance
of themselves - one for someone who knows a lot more about the details
of the VM than me.

Maybe a starting point at least . . .

--
Geoff Lane <glane@inclusion.net>