From "William McKenzie" <wsmck...@cartewright.com>
Subject RE: Building my own agregates
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:44:47 GMT
It seems like if david does need a collections taglib it would be fairly
simple to create such a thing on his own?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Bayern [mailto:bayern@essentially.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 7:45 AM
To: Tag Libraries Users List
Subject: Re: Building my own agregates

JSTL isn't really meant for creating objects; it's meant for working
with
them.  You can use <c:set> to store objects, move them between scopes,
etc., but we don't provide tags for creating HashMaps and so forth.  The
main reason for this is that it's beyond what most people seem to be
doing
with JSP pages; in most applications, logic like this would fall to a
servlet, filter, listener, or other Java code.  (In fact, I proposed a
"Collections Taglib" at taglibs-dev, but there was, to be completely
honest, very little interest in the proposal.  I suspect that by and
large, people don't need such a facility -- or, at least, they haven't
let
us know they do.)

As you suggest, you can attempt to stretch JSTL by using <jsp:useBean>
create objects and <c:set target="..." property="..."> to create or edit
elements of Map objects.  But you'll end up with large collections of
tags
in your JSP pages that have nothing to do with display, so even in small
applications, it might be easier to move the code elsewhere.

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)

<mailto:taglibs-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>