From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject Re: Building my own agregates
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:44:43 GMT
JSTL isn't really meant for creating objects; it's meant for working with
them.  You can use <c:set> to store objects, move them between scopes,
etc., but we don't provide tags for creating HashMaps and so forth.  The
main reason for this is that it's beyond what most people seem to be doing
with JSP pages; in most applications, logic like this would fall to a
servlet, filter, listener, or other Java code.  (In fact, I proposed a
"Collections Taglib" at taglibs-dev, but there was, to be completely
honest, very little interest in the proposal.  I suspect that by and
large, people don't need such a facility -- or, at least, they haven't let
us know they do.)

As you suggest, you can attempt to stretch JSTL by using <jsp:useBean> to
create objects and <c:set target="..." property="..."> to create or edit
elements of Map objects.  But you'll end up with large collections of tags
in your JSP pages that have nothing to do with display, so even in small
applications, it might be easier to move the code elsewhere.

--
Shawn Bayern
(coming in July 2002 from Manning Publications)