From "Ben Ramsey" <...@eureka-interactive.com>
Subject Root Element Error
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:03:28 GMT
Well, I was finally able to get Tomcat 4.0.4 installed on my Cobalt RaQ4,
thanks to some help from the Cobalt Developers' Mailing List (check the July
and August 2002 archives if you want to see the conversation:
http://list.cobalt.com/pipermail/cobalt-developers/ ... look for messages
titled "Installing Tomcat 4x on a Linux machine")!

Now, I can successfully run JSPs on my server that contain Java code
fragments, but when I try to use any JSP tags, I get the following error:

Apache Tomcat/4.0.4 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error
----
type Exception report

message Internal Server Error

description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server Error)
that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error on line 1 of document  : The root
element is required in a well-formed document. Nested exception: The root
element is required in a well-formed document.

Now, I know what this means: it's trying to force me to create JSP pages
containing tags as well-formed XML pages; it wants me to use the <jsp:root>
tag, I think.  This is all fine and dandy, but the earlier version of Tomcat
I was using (3.2.3) didn't make this requirement of my code, and now I have
to completely recode all my pages.

Is this a requirement of the JSP container, and/or is there a setting that I
can modify to make Tomcat more lenient on this... or do I have something
configured wrong somewhere?

Thanks.

Ben Ramsey
Technical Director