From Shawn Bayern <bay...@essentially.net>
Subject RE: where to parse xml files
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:56:36 GMT
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, hdi12 wrote:

> Thank you very much for your advices. The <x:parse> tag is used to
> parse an XML document into a data structure that can then be processed
> by the XPath engine.  How can I use <x:out>, <x:if>, etc without using
> the <x:parse>?

You can just expose a scoped attribute in a servlet (or other component);
if this scoped attribute contains a DOM, then <x:out> and the other
XML-manipulation tags will be able to read it.

> One method I think is parsing XML document into a DOM document at
> back-end, and displaying the data in JSP page using xml tags. Coulf
> you tell me how JSTL get the DOM document? Can I simply use <c:set> to
> set the DOM document to a variable?

JSTL will have access to the DOM if it's added to the page's request,
session, or application scope.  E.g., in a servlet, you might write

  request.setAttribute("dom", domObject);

--
Shawn Bayern