From "James Cook" <jimc...@visualxs.com>
Subject Custom property in a Collection subclass
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:45:41 GMT
I have a subclass of ArrayList that exposes its own property,
userObject.

class NamedList extends ArrayList {

	Object _userObject;

	public NamedList(Object userObject) {
		_userObject = userObject;
	}
	public Object getUserObject() {
		return _userObject;
	}

	public void setUserObject(Object userObject) {
		_userObject = userObject;
	}
}

When I attempt to access the userObject using JSTL (Apache impl), I
receive the following error:

JSTL
====
<c:out value="${date.userObject}" />

Error
=====
An error occurred while evaluating custom action attribute "value" with
value "${date.userObject}": The "." operator was supplied with an index
value of type "java.lang.String" to be applied to a List or array, but
that value cannot be converted to an integer.

It seems like the JSTL implementation is treating this call like I meant
${date[userObject}, but surely there is a means to access properties on
a collection class?