From Hans Bergsten <h...@gefionsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Tag for uploading
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 04:59:04 GMT
Stefan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You would think that such a common requirement (file upload) when it comes
> to web programming would be supported 'out of the box' ?
>
> Just my two cents.

It's been discussed to add it to the Servlet spec a few times, but it
gets shut down every time because it's not obvious how it should look
like to handle all possible requirements and still be easier to use
than one of the existing "third-party solutions" (like Jason's filter
and parsing classes). For instance, how to deal with large files (reject
them or store them in a file?), how to get access to regular parameters,
how to get access to the files (InputStream or File?), how to set
limits, download directory, etc, etc.

It's not impossible to come up with answers to all of these questions,
but so far the opinion of the spec group has been that existing
third-party solutions are sufficient and that very little would be
gained by adding it to the spec (in fact, it would make the spec more
complex, and arguable file upload is not in scope for the servlet spec).

If you feel strongly about it, I suggest you send it as a suggestion
to the spec group.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com