From "Tony LaPaso" <tlap...@attbi.com>
Subject ?? Can Taglib JARs be Global ??
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:41:01 GMT
Hi,

I've found something curious and was wondering if anyone had an explanation
or comment.

I'm using Tomcat v4.1.12 but this also happens on TC v4.1.16 beta.

Here's the situation: I have several Taglib JARs that I would like to make
available to *all* web applications (i.e., all "contexts"). In other words,
I do *not* want to have separate copies of each and every JAR in each web
app's "/WEB-INF/lib" directory. I'd rather just put the JARs in Tomcat's
"common/lib" directory.

What I'm finding is that if I pre-compile my JSPs, I *can* have only one set
of JARs in "common/lib", just as I want. On the other hand, if my JSPs are
compiled on request (i.e., they are not pre-compiled), then the JARs *must*
be in the "/WEB-INF/lib" directory for the particular web app.

Is this correct behavior? I wonder if it's a limitation of the JSP compiler
and if so, should it be fixed?

Any comments??

Thanks,

Tony