From Stephen Riek <stephenr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Escaping quotes in form fields - c:out doesn't see my variable
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 03:55:19 GMT

Sorry, you're right, David. I should have (and thought that I had) stated
that no output was seen, and was quite embarrassed to reread my
message and see the dumb "does not work".
You're right about my problem being that <c:out> sending no output
and thanks for diagnosing the lack of scope problem. As for
documentation, I had read several articles and been through the
very stripped-down quick-start and examples that came with the
package. I leant away from the specifications because I thought
they were for the JSTL implementors, much in the same way as
the J2EE specs.
Stephen.
 "Karr, David" <David.Karr@wamu.net> wrote:First of all, it would help if you made it
clear exactly what your first
problem is. Whenever the most detailed statement of what went wrong is
"it does not work", then you haven't given enough information.

I'm going to guess that you see nothing from your "c:out". This is
because you've created a scriptlet variable named "book", but you
haven't put it in a form that the JSTL can use. The JSTL only uses
"scoped variables", being attributes placed into the page, request,
session, or application scopes (actually just hashtables associated with
each scope). In this case, you probably just want to put it in the page
context, using the "page" implicit object (PageContext class).

Your second problem is not using the "escapeXml" attribute of "c:out".
Set it to "true" to avoid escaping the xml-sensitive characters.

You should read the JSTL specification for detailed information about
this.