tomcat-taglibs-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Martin van Dijken" <mvdij...@madocke.nl>
Subject RE: How to create a general resource bundle for JSTL?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:32:37 GMT
Hey Eric,

I've got to start working heavily with I18N currently and am investigating some of the same
paths you go along. You did notice that the FMT_LOCALIZATIONCONTEXT is not the correct naming,
but that FMT_LOCALIZATION_CONTEXT is? I guess you must have because stuff probably doesn't
compile otherwise, but I thought I should point it out.

Martin

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric.Lewis@swissinfo.ch [mailto:Eric.Lewis@swissinfo.ch]
> Sent: dinsdag 8 juli 2003 16:29
> To: taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: How to create a general resource bundle for JSTL?
> 
> 
> Hi Martin
> 
> Thanks for the answer. However, your solution relies on JSTL 
> alone, and this
> works for me without any problems (see my code).
> What doesn't work is setting a resource bundle with my Java 
> class, without
> having to set the bundle in the JSP.
> 
> Best regards,
> Eric
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Martin van Dijken [mailto:mvdijken@madocke.nl]
> Sent: Montag, 7. Juli 2003 15:58
> To: Tag Libraries Users List
> Subject: RE: How to create a general resource bundle for JSTL?
> 
> 
> Hey Eric,
> 
> Let me give you an educated yet untested guess. I'm not very 
> experienced
> with JSTL, but noticed you weren't getting any response so 
> let me try. 
> 
> Have you tried setting the Locale of the ServletResponse 
> object? I'm not
> 100% certain, but it seems to me JSTL *SHOULD* check this 
> when using their
> I18N tags. Furthermore if you want to use a resource bundle 
> for a bunch of
> tags it might do you some good to put the other I18N tags 
> below them as
> nested tags:
> 
> <fmt:setBundle basename="vulgarInsults"/>
> 
> <!-- Notice how the bundle tag surrounds the others... -->
> <fmt:bundle basename="org.apache.bookies">
>   <fmt:message key="threat" >
>     <fmt:param value="${address}"/>
>     <fmt:param value="${numberOfChildren}"/>
>     <fmt:param value="${nameOfSpouse}"/>
>   </fmt:message>
> </fmt:bundle>
> 
> Greetings,
> 
> Martin van Dijken
> Madocke Interactive Media
> 
> 
> > Hi all
> > 
> > Till now, all JSP pages in our application had to have the 
> > following header
> > for internationalization:
> > <%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" %>
> > <fmt:setLocale value="${currentLocale}"/>
> > <fmt:setBundle basename="ch.xobix.i18n.translations.X2Resources"
> > var="bundle" scope="page"/>
> > 
> > Then a message would be output like this:
> > <fmt:message key="longWeekday_0" bundle="${bundle}"/>
> > 
> > Note that "currentLocale" is set by the controller, and
> > ch.xobix...X2Resources is a class that loads the messages 
> > from a database
> > table.
> > This works well, however I think it's tedious for the web 
> > designer to do
> > this manually all the time.
> > 
> > My goal is to have the following:
> > <%@ taglib prefix="fmt" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" %>
> > 
> > And the message output like this:
> > <fmt:message key="longWeekday_0"/>
> > 
> > So I tried to set it in the controller, as described in "JSTL 
> > in Action". I
> > managed to set the Locale right, but I don't know how to do 
> > the same with
> > the resources. First I tried according to the book to create a
> > ResourceBundle and a Locale and set JSTL's 
> > FMT_LOCALIZATIONCONTEXT (does
> > anyone know why this is written like this?). Didn't work...
> > 
> > Now I've seen that I can change the web.xml to read
> > <web-app>
> >    ...
> >    <context-param>
> >  
> > <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.localizationContext</pa
> > ram-name>
> >       
> > <param-value>ch.xobix.i18n.translations.X2Resources</param-value>
> >    </context-param>
> >    ...
> > </web-app>
> > 
> > Now, in the controller, I set the Locale with
> > Config.set(this.getRequest(), Config.FMT_LOCALE, <the 
> > language code> );
> > 
> > and I see it in Tomcat's output:
> > DEBUG  - Request: javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.locale = it   
> > (when changing to
> > Italian)
> > 
> > BUT the message itself doesn't change!
> > 
> > What am I doing wrong? Or how should I do it right?
> > 
> > Also, has anyone of you succeeded in dynamically changing 
> > resources? Right
> > now, when someone enters a new key in the database, we have 
> to restart
> > Tomcat.
> > 
> > 
> > Thanks for any help!
> > Eric
> > 
> > 
> > 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: taglibs-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: 
> taglibs-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> > 
> > 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: taglibs-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: taglibs-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: taglibs-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: taglibs-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: taglibs-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: taglibs-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message