From Eric W Hauser <ehau...@indiana.edu>
Subject Why no exception with missing accessor?
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:46:05 GMT
While discussing JSTL with some others developers today, a question came
up about the lack of helpful errors when using JSTL incorrectly.  If I use
the following line of code:

<c:out value="${sessionScope.mybean.value}"/>

and there is no accessor method of value, then JSTL just returns nothing.
Others said they though it would make more sense if a JspException was
thrown because you were attemping to access an accessor that did not
exist.  We have a number of custom tag libraries in which I would like to
add the ability to exception EL expressions, but I'm getting some
resistance because of this issue.  Any thoughts?