From Neil Zanella <nzane...@cs.mun.ca>
Subject Re: Whitespace Galore!
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:44:47 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 19:15:06 -0230 (NDT)
From: Neil Zanella <nzanella@cs.mun.ca>
To: Tag Libraries Users List <taglibs-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Whitespace Galore!

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Rick Ross wrote:

> 2.  There is a ton of whitespace all over my output.  Many many newlines ...
> so many, that it is hard to examine the source of the output.   I think that
> most of it is in the bodies of conditionals...   anyone else having
> problems?

Yes!!! This is the one feature I miss the very most about PHP tags, which,
are such that an entire line enclosed within <?php /* ... */ ?> will be
stripped off together with the newline character that follows it for
pretty output! I really cannot understand why JSP doesn't do this
and hope that this will change in the future:

Q: How can you tell a page is written with JSP?
A: If when you view page source in your web browser you see that there are
a lot of runs of consecutive blank lines! It looks sloppy!!! ... and is
unfriendly and makes the output hard to debug and read!

There must be a way around it; there must, otherwise JSP sucks.

So how can it be achieved?

Regards,

Neil