From Neil Zanella <nzane...@cs.mun.ca>
Subject Re: Jakarta Taglibs Installation
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:24:48 GMT

Excellent idea. I should have a look at the document type definition for
the web.xml file to find out where exactly I should place the
context-param element and its contents, and then perhaps also
validate the resulting XML file with an XML validator with
the DTD also supplied as input.

The DTD does not come with tomcat or taglibs but...

$ find /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24 -name '*dtd'
$ find /usr/local/jakarta-taglibs -name '*dtd'
$

The file /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
reveals its location:

http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd

OK, I validated the page versus the DTD using the XML validator at
http://validator.w3.org/ and found the page to be valid XML, that
is the XML file is well-formed and validates versus the DTD.

I also checked it at the following site:
http://www.stg.brown.edu/cgi-bin/xmlvalid/xmlvalid.pl
and obtained the same results (except for the following
warning which I suppose is nothing to worry about):

line 2, web.xml:
    warning (562): can't resolve Public ID: -//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD
Web Application 2.2//EN

Both validators nevertheless downloaded the DTD from the contents of
the second string specified in the document type declaration and did
find the document to conform to the DTD, so that was not the problem.

The error message reported is clearly wrong.

Regards,

Neil