From Neil Zanella <nzane...@cs.mun.ca>
Subject Re: SQL tag library installation question
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:35:46 GMT

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Neil Zanella wrote:
>
> > As it seems to me that Tomcat does not make use of the CLASSPATH
> > variable at all (i.e. it does not read it when it is started)
> > (is this correct?), then how can Tomcat possibly find on the
> > system some JDBC driver such as org.postgresql.Driver
> > installed on the system as a JAR file whose absolute
> > path name is given by: /usr/lib/pgsql/jdbc7.0-1.2.jar
>
> You put the jar in Tomcat's common/lib/ directory. It's akin to the JVM's
> ext/ directory [where you could also put the jar, but that's a bit yucky].
>
> Or symlink it to appear like it is there.

Thanks. So what is the difference between $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib and
$CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib. Are these two directory meant to be used for
slightly different purposes?

> > I cannot make out how Tomcat would know to look in such a
> > place in the first place. Anyone know how it is done?
>
> Only way to make it look in /usr/lib would be to edit the startup scripts
> to put it in the CLASSPATH for the Tomcat.

I guess the right place to modify the CLASSPATH that Tomcat uses would be
inside the script $CATALINA_HOME/bin/setclasspath.sh which I is called by
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh which is called by the startup script
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh .

> > Also, is anyone using tomcat with Red Hat 9 and postgresql?
> > I cannot seem to be able to start the postmaster with the
> > -i flag (used to enable network connections, necessary
> > for JDBC connections too apparently).
>
> Nope, I'm using SuSE/Tomcat/Postgres. To get my postgres to start with the
> right flags I change /etc/sysconfig/postgresql to include the line:
> POSTGRES_OPTIONS="-i" but I suspect this is a SuSE only thing.

I found a more portable way to start the postmaster with TCP/IP enabled:

tcpip_socket = true

BTW, I think RPM packages always leave out some files from the list:

$ rpm -qf /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf is not owned by any package

That's not very good.

> If your postgres was an rpm, look at the startup script
> [/etc/init.d/postgresql or /etc/rc.d/postgresql or something] and see if
> it looks for options in a file.

Yes, there is a line "export PGOPTS" in /etc/init.d/postgresql and then
the variable is not referenced anywhere else in the script. My guess is
that some binary must read it with the getenv(3) UNIX call, but Red Hat
does not even set a default value for PGOPTS, just exports it.

Best Regards,

Neil